Menu | (904) 448-6646 | Email Us

Category Archives: Where to File a Petition

Where can Petitioners residing overseas file their Petitions?

This issue of whether a U.S. citizen spouse who resides outside the U.S. can file directly with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate seems to come up every so often, so I thought that I would do a “reminder” blog on the issue. I had blogged about this issue last year as well as it comes up often when discussing which venue is the best place to file petitions.

For petitioners who reside outside the U.S., they can file directly with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate ONLY IF USCIS has an “office” or public counter presence within the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If USCIS does not have a public presence within that U.S. Embassy, then the Petition for Alien Relative must be filed at the same Chicago lockbox.

Please call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 for the exact address of the Chicago lockbox for filing a Petition for Alien Relative. As of February 2012, the address is as follows:

P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, Il 60680-4107

This address can change, and frequently does change, so please call or check other USCIS sources before filing your Petition for Alien Petition, should you decide to file a Petition without the use of an Immigration Attorney.