Menu | (904) 448-6646 | Email Us

Category Archives: Petition for Alien Relative

IMPORTANT Update Regarding Spouses of Green Card Holders

As of the upcoming date of August 2013, the category of spouses of lawful permanent residents will be CURRENT!  What this means is that there is no longer any waiting time period for spouses of green card holders to file for their green card.

Please note that there previously was a two to four year wait that spouses of green card holders had to wait before the spouse could file for the green card.  It is important to point out that the green card applications should be promptly and correctly filed in the month of August 2013, as the priority date could potentially fall backwards again as we have seen in the past.

If you are a spouse of a lawful permanent resident, please call my office and I will assist you in obtaining the green card based on your bona fide marriage to a green card holder.  Again, time is of the essence, so do not delay.  Also, you should Not file your green card application before August 1, 2013.  The above Great News applies to applicants from all countries, including China, India, Mexico, and Philippines.

This is great news in terms of the waiting period; however this change does not affect any requirement of maintaining status, etc.  Therefore, you should consult with an immigration lawyer to make sure this change applies favorably to you.





Where can Petitioners residing overseas file their Petitions?

This issue of whether a U.S. citizen spouse who resides outside the U.S. can file directly with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate seems to come up every so often, so I thought that I would do a “reminder” blog on the issue. I had blogged about this issue last year as well as it comes up often when discussing which venue is the best place to file petitions.

For petitioners who reside outside the U.S., they can file directly with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate ONLY IF USCIS has an “office” or public counter presence within the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If USCIS does not have a public presence within that U.S. Embassy, then the Petition for Alien Relative must be filed at the same Chicago lockbox.

Please call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 for the exact address of the Chicago lockbox for filing a Petition for Alien Relative. As of February 2012, the address is as follows:

P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, Il 60680-4107

This address can change, and frequently does change, so please call or check other USCIS sources before filing your Petition for Alien Petition, should you decide to file a Petition without the use of an Immigration Attorney.